Friday, February 12, 2010

Memory is in the music.

You know that song that just brings a flood of memories to you?  The one that is practically indescribable.  I think its amazing how simple things like music can trigger such emotions.  I really have no idea why I'm blogging about this but I thought I'd share.

1.  Mr Bojangles by  Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
When I hear this song, it brings back wonderful memories of me and my daddy dancing around the living room.    I'd tell him 'Sing Bojangles!" I had to have been 3 or 4.   He'd either play it or sing it and we'd just twirl around the living room.  My favorite part was  the "Jump so high' part.  Theres something about that part of the song that I just love and I still do.   I'd jump and just thought I was the only little girl in the world.  I love this version of the song, but Brad Paisley and Keith Urban remade the song with the NGDB and it is pretty awesome too.

2.  Old Blue Chair, acoustic version by Kenny Chesney

There is something about this song that makes me weak in the knees.  Maybe it's my love of the ocean, and the sand and the sun, or maybe its the beautiful words.  When KC sings "And I've watched boats sail in and out of cinnamon bay"...chills literally go up my spine.  I have no idea why.  It's just one of those songs that does something ridiculous to me.  It makes me long for the solemness of being alone on a beach with nothing but the ocean in front of me.  This song is amazing.  Nothin' compares...


It sways back and forth, with the help of the wind. 
It seems to always be there, like an old trusted friend



I was as far away from him as it looks! I won 2 tickets 2 hours before showtime.  My other tickets were 5 rows from the top of Williams Brice Stadium.  Amazing!

3.  Free Falling by Tom Petty

Gah..I love this song.  Describes me to a T.  Theres something about the power this song gives to me when I'm in my car, volume up and just singin' my little heart out.


4. Desperado by the Eagles

This song brings me back to 7th, 8th and 9th grade.  There was little thing back home called Junior Assembly.  There would be one each month of the school year on a Saturday night, a Holly Ball in December and a Spring Ball in April. It was like a middle school cotillion where they taught us dances like the Charleston, Swing, Salsa and the shag.  Each month would have different dance that we would learn. We had to be invited by someone who was in Jr Assembly in years prior,  so it was an exclusive event in our eyes..  It was the talk of the town among middle schoolers.  We'd get dressed up in our best clothes, and we'd go out to dinner before and then parents would drop us off.  Of course it was middle school, so half the girls were taller than the guys, so there was definitely awkwardness among the guys, but I was one of those girls that LIVED for Jr. Assesmbly.  One of the not so fun parts of it was when we'd partner up with a random person via the boy line and the girl line.  Sometimes I got lucky, sometimes I got the fat kid with sweaty hands.  But then after we learned the dance we were supposed to learn, the DJ/Dance instructor would turn out the lights and everyone would literally fly back our respective 'cliques'....and dance like we were 7 shots in on our 21st birthday. So much fun.  Hahaa.  Anyways....this song was always the LAST song of the night.  So when we heard this song, we knew we'd better try to dance with someone good, because whoever we danced with, we'd hold them close and imagine that they were whoever we wanted them to be...and sometimes they were that person (even better for a hormonal 13 year old ).   Everytime I hear this song I think of Jr. Assembly and all the memories that went along with it.  It's a sad song, but I never get sad because of it, I just think back to my days of bad hair and braces...and it's all good.


5. Yesterday by the Beatles

My dad would sing this song to me when I was little.  It was so calming to me.  It had to be his voice that made this song so special to me.  Also, my chorus did a Beatles show my senior year of high school, and this was one of the songs that we performed.  I remembered choking through it on the my last performance. 


And last but not least.....

5.   Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Gah...this song is just toooo great.  The guitar rifts in it are spectacular and the lyrics are just .... freeing.  Indescribable emotions again.  And now they are even stronger because Dave and I went to see them this summer in Charlotte.  It was an amazing show...and it the pain of losing our friend John was still raw.

If I leave here tomorrow...
Would you still remember me?


I'm curious....What song or songs bring back memories to you? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say ! :)