Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bad Genes

My aunt has cancer for the 3rd time in her life.  About a month ago, she went to the ER because of a stabbing headache that wouldn't go away.  CT scans showed the she had several little mini strokes in tiny capillaries in her brain.  She's fine now though,  but she just got bloods tests results back from a special lab in Atlanta, and they  revealed that she has 2 genetic deficiencies. 

Protein C Deficiency and Antithrombin III Deficiency.  Protein C is a protein in your blood that prevents blood from clotting.  Without the protein, your blood is more likely to clot, you have a great chance of pulmonary embolism, etc.  Which would explain why my aunt had several deep vein thrombosis' after she had my cousin prematurely, 19 years ago.  Antithrombin is a substance in the blood that also limits the blood's ability to clot. Which is strike #2.  In people with congenital antithrombin deficiency, there is usually a reduced amount of this substance in the blood due to a genetic abnormality.  

My aunt has to be on coumadin for the rest of her life AND she can't eat foods high in Vitamin K, which is a LOT of good stuff like collard greens, spinach,  lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, peas, brussel sprouts, soybeans, cauliflower and green beans.  I loooove my veggies. Anyways, My aunts doctors recommended that my Dad and uncle get tested, as well as all the cousins.  I really hope that I don't have the gene.  I'm a worry wart and a nursing school induced hypochondriac.  I know TOO much about the horrors of DVTs, PEs and blood clots.  I know that if a large one throws and goes to your heart, you are dead.  Not good.

My Bad Genes

  1.  Mama has scoliosis.  I was born with scoliosis.  Why she be actin' like that? She get it from her mamma.
  2. I have pectoris excavatum.  It is a deformity of the anterior wall of the chest.  My breastbone curves in.  BUT it makes my cleavage loook pretty damn good.  I just hope it doesn't cause problems later in life.  Maybe thaaaaaaaats why I get so winded when I run. Haha... I wish.
  3. Twins.  Haha. I don't know if this is a good trait or a bad trait...AND I date a twin.  We'll seee!
  4. Junk in the trunk gene. Unfortunately....from both sides of the family.
  5. Lactose intolerance. 

The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
On the other hand, the French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

Conclusion:

Eat and drink what you like. It is speaking English that kills you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say ! :)