Wednesday, November 10, 2010

When it rains...It pours.

Monday night was a bad night.  My great uncle died, my grandpa falls and breaks his his femur and my mom informs me that there are questionable spots that showed up on her mammogram that she got last week.

I get 3 hours of crappy sleep and then go into work.  I was able to talk to the staffing lady and she could tell I needed a mental day.  She said I could go after morning med pass. I didn't leave work until 4pm because we got 3 new admits and I worked on morning meds until 11:30am!  I need to get OUT of there. 
All the while I have NO idea what is going on with my Grandpa.

He ended up not breaking his hip. He broke his femur below where he broke it in June. 
 He had surgery last night and they removed the pins from the previous surgery and put in a rod. 
I'm SO glad that he is okay and that there were no complications.  His nurses are so sweet and my parents and everyone else informed the charge nurse that I'm looking for a job. 
They REQUESTED my resume! Oh...and the patient load on that floor is between 5-6 patients.  I'd take that any day compared to my 22 patient load where I'm at now.

Anyways.....I think my stressful day is over until I'm feeding my dogs. 
I was home alone because mom and Dad were at the hospital. 
Max had just finished eatting and I saw him jerk and then he practically did a backflip and had a tonic-clonic seizure right in the middle of the kitchen.  He's had them before but I've never been alone when it's happened.  I was TERRIFIED.  Each time he has one I'm just so afraid this is gonna be the one that kills him. 
He was gurgling on his saliva which was making him make some horrible sound that would bring a tear to your eye. This seizure lasted about 10 minutes and then he lied on the floor unable to get up for about 10minutes also ( I was also lying on the floor face to face with him talking to him and telling him I love him....covered in dog saliva!).  I called my dad in a panic and he rushed home from the hospital to help me out.  By the time Dad got home Max was just starting to get up and wander.  It's so sad because he's completely confused and isn't quite steady on his feet yet and he runs into things and his legs buckle.  Then for about 3 -4 hours he wanders and is just really out of it. the exact spot where he made me almost have a heart attack

Then I slept for what seemed like 2 hours and it's 9am I spent my whole day at the hospital which I was SO glad I could do.  I MADE my grandma go home and shower and sleep.  She had been with my Pappy since Monday night.  I got some QT with Pappy and I wouldn't trade that time for anything. .....well maybe for an UNBROKEN femur. 

So yea....when it freakin' pours. 


  1. Aw, I'm so so sorry you've had a tough time. I completely agree that when it rains, it pours. But usually, the bad luck turns around and things get better. I hope that for you!

  2. Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way. Sorry you are going through this rough patch...and I agree, when it rains it pours...but I think you're due for a 'good rain'.


I'd love to hear what you have to say ! :)